Want to block trackers? There are a massive number of tools out there and it requires some heavy lifting to figure it out.
This is a no-brainer list for those who just want something that works.
- uBlock Origin – Security expert and geek favorite. NOT uBlock: See below.
- Ghostery or Disconnect Me – Protect your privacy. See who is tracking you.
- HTTPS Everywhere – Encrypt the web.
Good to Have:
- My Permissions Cleaner – Good for security housekeeping.
- Adblock Plus – If you don’t choose uBlock Origin.
Recommended for Chrome:
- Facebook Disconnect – from the makers of Disconnect me – stop social logins from grabbing more info than they need
- fPrivacy – Makes Facebook permissions optional
- Sharemenot – Prevents third-party buttons embedded by sites from tracking you until you actually click on them.
Notes on uBlock Origin
There is a bit of a story to uBlock Origin.
uBlock Origin superior to uBlock on all counts EXCEPT uBlock can be used in Safari. uBlock Origin can’t. Neither can it be used on mobile. For that look to Adblock Plus.
Ghostery vs Disconnect
Ghostery’s interface is cleaner and provides easy to understand tracking info. It’s an eye opener.
However experienced users tend to prefer Disconnect Me which is not so clean but more lightweight. It’s a toss up.