Want to block trackers? There are a massive number of tools out there and it requires some heavy lifting to figure it out.
This is a no-brainer list for those who just want something that works.
- uBlockÂ OriginÂ – Security expert and geek favorite. NOT uBlock: See below.
- GhosteryÂ orÂ Â Disconnect MeÂ – Protect your privacy. See who is tracking you.
- HTTPS EverywhereÂ – Encrypt the web.
Good to Have:
- My Permissions CleanerÂ – Good for security housekeeping.
- Adblock PlusÂ – If you don’t chooseÂ uBlock Origin.
Recommended forÂ Chrome:
- DisconnectÂ – from the makers of Disconnect.me – stop social logins from grabbing more info than they need
- fPrivacyÂ -Â Makes Facebook permissions optional
- SharemenotÂ – Prevents third-party buttons embedded by sites from tracking you until you actually click on them.
Notes on uBlock Origin
There is a bit of a story to uBlock Origin.
uBlock Origin superior to uBlock on all counts EXCEPT uBlock can be used in Safari. uBlock Origin can’t. Neither can it be used on mobile. For that look to Adblock Plus.
Ghostery vs Disconnect
Ghostery’s interface is cleaner and provides easy to understand tracking info. It’s an eye opener.
However experienced users tend to prefer Disconnect Me which is not so clean but more lightweight. It’s a toss up.
tech web blockers digcit security